Thursday, March 8, 2012

Survivor - and Colton - Made Me Cringe

I am a big fan of the show "Survivor". I have watched every season. However, last night's episode made me cringe.
There is a young pretty boy college student from Alabama on the men's team named Colton. He has made no bones about it, he is a rich boy. What made me sick was that he proudly admitted he has an African-American woman as a servant!
He persuaded the men's team to go to the women's team and ask them to give up their immunity idol so the men's team could vote off Bill, a young African-American struggling stand up comic. Colton refused to talk to him, saying in essence Bill was beneath him and everyone else. "GET A REAL JOB!" he announced.
It was the first time in 24 years of the show that something like this happened (change of immunity idol for Tribal Council). Jeff Probst was actually aghast at the turn of events and how Colton had brainwashed the entire men's team to believe Bill was not worth keeping on. I think it gives the show a very bad name.
To ALL African-Americans - let me please tell you - ALL white, gay people do NOT feel the way Colton does. I will apologize for his total ignorance. I am totally ashamed of his actions, as I do not feel that way toward African-Americans. Yes, I am gay - and white - but Colton, get out of the 60s - the civil rights bill was passed and nobody should be judged by the color of his/her skin. Sickening.
I seriously am thinking I might boycott the show for the rest of the season...anybody with me?

1 comment:

  1. I'll be the first to admit, I never really got the appeal "Survivor".

    I must say this, though...

    Never apologize for someone else's bad behavior and/or ignorance. It actually lends credence and power to their ignorance or behavior where absolutely none should ever be given.

    Disagree with it, but don't ever apologize for it. That's for this Colton character to attend to when/if he ever understands he's a bigoted, prejudiced, arrogant ass!

    I'll be happy to join in on a boycott... I don't watch the show anyway. LOL

    ReplyDelete