Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Barry Manilow: It's No Secret!

   Well, for the two people in the world who don't know this by now, I am a Manilow fan.
   And no, I am NOT a Fanilow.
   I cringe when I hear that description of Manilow fans. I don't go to Manilow parties, I don't blast "Copacabana" on my car stereo. Even Barry scoffs at the moniker.
   I have had the good fortune of meeting him several times and every opportunity was fantastic. I even worked for him in 1987 during his book-signing tour. Barry is an absolute gentleman and fun to be with.
   When I was in high school, I was an absolute geek. I became totally captivated by the total Manilow mystique and consequently, the name "Barry Manilow" and my name became synonomous. I went to my 30th high school reunion in 2010 and many gals asked about Barry and me. I had lots to tell them!
   I can say that he is an instrumental part of my life. I, as many people, had a lot of troubles growing up. His music got me through the rough times. For that, I am eternally grateful. Thank you, Barry, for sharing your musical talents with the world! God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. Count me in as another fan who cannot stomach the term "Fanilow" (curse you Will & Grace!)
    I know as a general rule, most folks don't mean any harm when they use it, but when it's tossed about in the media it's a whole different story. There's always an "oh... THEM" snide subtext. And when used that way, Barry's right, it dehumanizes us.
    Barry and his music have been a huge part of my life, too. A constant since I was 8 years old and heard Mandy the first time in 1975. And I honestly don't know if I'd still be here had I not heard I Made It Through The Rain on New Year's Eve in 1982.
    What I do know... with his music, he moves me in a way very few can. It's what caught my attention 37 years ago, and it's why I still listen to this day.

    ReplyDelete