Thursday, April 19, 2012

In Memory of Dick Clark, 1929 - 2012

April 18, 2012 is now a very sad day in the entertainment industry. The legendary Dick Clark died of a massive heart attack at the age of 82. I had the great fortune of meeting Mr. Clark in Hershey, PA back in the 80s. I asked him to confirm if Barry Manilow got his "big break" on American Bandstand back in 1975. He said it was true and he was pleased to be a friend of Barry's. Mr. Clark is a legend in the broadcast industry and got his start as a disc jockey in Philadelphia, PA. He became host of the wildly popular "American Bandstand" music show. I remember every Saturday afternoon I would watch to see what the new styles in clothing were, up to date hairdos, and of course new dance steps were. He will also be forever known as the "New Year's Rckin' Eve" host. The show began in 1972 (when I was 9) and it was my "babysitter" for many years until I was old enough to go out New Year's Eve and party with friends. Still, we would turn on the TV and sure enough, there would be Dick counting down the final 30 seconds of Decembers gone by, Mr. Clark, you were a part of my musical life and for this I thank you. As you said, "Music is the soundtrack of your life." Amen. And may you rest in peace. God Bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment